As we kick off the new year, many people are experiencing high levels of stress due to ongoing uncertainty and countless new demands. While you may think you don’t have time for wellness and self-care, experts say it only takes a few minutes a day and the benefits are plentiful.
Check out these four small, but thoughtful adjustments to your daily routine that will have you feeling your very best in 2021:
Set realistic goals
Read more books, exercise twice a week, or spend more time unplugged from technology outdoors — it’s important to set realistic goals that you can easily keep track of. Consider creating daily, weekly and monthly goals rather than yearly ones to get in the right mindset. Maybe you start with the target of running 10 minutes straight without a break or reading a couple of chapters each day. It’s also important to be specific in your goals. Instead of trying to run a marathon overnight, schedule two runs for the week. This way, you are honoring where you’re starting and making it easy to measure your progress. These bite-size goals are easier to focus on and achieve, so they can really help you move forward and build positive momentum.
Connect with loved ones
Many people have struggled with feelings of isolation during the pandemic, so it’s important to make time to connect with others. This might be scheduling a video call with your parent or sibling. It could be sending out a blast of positive text messages to friends. You might try planning a virtual game night or cooking night with a group of people. Even writing cards or letters provides a special connection and is a delightful surprise for the recipient. Try these ideas regularly and you’ll be surprised by the positive emotional impact it can have.
Make mindful food swaps
“People often think they need to overhaul their entire diet to eat healthy, but that isn’t always the case,” says Marissa Meshulam, Dietitian Nutritionist, and founder of MPM Nutrition. “There are many simple food swaps that can give the foods you already enjoy a nutrient-packed boost.”
For example, Meshulam recommends you stock your fridge with Eggland’s Best eggs. Compared to ordinary eggs, EB eggs contain more micronutrients that support a healthy immune system such as six times more vitamin D, 10 times more vitamin E, and double the omega-3s and vitamin B12. Most micronutrients are not produced in the body and must be derived from your diet, so it’s important to incorporate nutrient-dense foods daily.
Explore new recipes once a week
Good nutrition goes beyond just eating plenty of superfood ingredients, fruits and vegetables. To expand your palate and try new foods, consider better-for-you recipes when meal planning. Set a goal to cook a new recipe every week like this Poached Quinoa Bowl that features wholesome ingredients such as tomatoes, carrot, nutritionally superior EB eggs and more:
- 1 Eggland’s Best Egg (Large), poached
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup carrot, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- Combine 1/2 cup quinoa with 1 cup water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet at medium to high heat. When the skillet is hot, add in the carrots and mushrooms with a splash of water, cook for 3-4 minutes until vegetables become tender.
- In a small bowl mix together the spices and salt and pepper.
- Reduce skillet heat to medium and add in the cherry tomatoes and spice mix, continue sauteing and adding splashes of water as needed so the vegetables do not stick/burn.
- Bring another small pot of water to a simmer.
- Crack egg into a ramekin or cup and gently create a whirlpool in the water.
- Slowly tip egg into the water and let cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
- While your poached egg is draining, assemble bowls — quinoa, vegetables, eggs.
For additional recipe inspiration visit www.egglandsbest.com/recipes.