As part of Navicent Health’s ongoing commitment to community safety and preparedness, the health system asks those in our community to ensure they are prepared for winter weather.
Navicent Health’s Safety, Emergency Management and Physical Environment Manager Steve Ramsey offers the following tips to ensure you and your family are prepared for inclement winter weather:
- Have a qualified HVAC service person check your heating system before cold weather sets in.
- Check the batteries in smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they are in good working order.
- If you use a space heater, be sure to keep it at least three feet away from walls, curtains and other flammable materials.
- Use care around fireplaces and wood stoves. Have both inspected annually by a professional.
- Make sure your car battery is properly charged.
- Store a supply of rock salt to prevent slipping on icy steps and walkways.
- Ensure your emergency kit is up-to-date and contains food, water, medication, money, work gloves, a flashlight with extra batteries, a crank radio, blankets and a small shovel. Do not forget your pet’s food and water needs. If there are infants and toddlers in the home, be sure to include items like diapers and formula.
- Create a buddy system with neighbors and check on each other in the event of adverse winter weather.
“We often joke about people running to the store for milk and bread in the event of adverse winter weather, but in all seriousness, the time to prepare is not as a storm is hitting. Prepare in advance to ensure you and your family are well supplied and able to weather the storm,” said Ramsey.
About Navicent Health
Navicent Health, the leading provider of healthcare in central and south Georgia, is committed to its mission of elevating health and wellbeing through compassionate care.
Providing more than 1,000 beds and offering care in 53 specialties at more than 50 facilities throughout the region, Navicent Health provides care for healthcare consumers’ through an academic medical center; community, pediatric and rehabilitation hospitals; urgent care centers; physician practices; diagnostic centers; home health; hospice and palliative care; and a life plan community.
Navicent Health is dedicated enhancing health and wellness for individuals throughout the region through nationally-recognized quality care, community health initiatives and collaborative partnerships. For more information, please visit www.navicenthealth.org.
The Editorial Team at Lake Oconee Health is made up of skilled health and wellness writers and experts, led by Daniel Casciato who has over 25 years of experience in healthcare writing. Since 1998, we have produced compelling and informative content for numerous publications, establishing ourselves as a trusted resource for health and wellness information. We aim to provide our readers with valuable insights and guidance to help them lead healthier and happier lives.
1 thought on “Are You Prepared for Winter Weather?”
Comments are closed.